In 2018 in Arizona, the leading cause of accidental death for infants 1 month to 1 year old was suffocation.
Safe Sleep Saves Lives
Preventing Infant Suffocation
Our Safe Sleep Program trains first responders such as Law Enforcement, EMS, Fire Departments, In-home Caseworkers, Advocates, DCS and other professionals who respond to homes and are in a position to address unsafe sleeping conditions that pose a threat to infant health and safety.
What our trainings cover:
- Understand the role suffocation plays in infant sleep-related death
- Be comfortable in their knowledge and ability to provide safe sleep guidance to families and caregivers
- Be able to identify and evaluate unsafe sleep environments as a risk factor for suffocation
- Be able to relay information about safe sleep practices to families
- Be able to identify and refer individuals to resources for safe sleep
DO’S & DON’TS OF SAFE SLEEP
- Have a separate sleeping space for the baby
- Place babies to sleep in a crib or bassinet
- Place babies on their back every time – at night and for naps
- Give babies space to breathe – no pillows, bumpers, blankets, or toys in the crib
- Share a bed with your baby
- Let babies sleep in a cluttered crib or bassinet
- Let babies sleep on their side or on their stomach
- Let babies sleep on unsafe sleep surfaces such as couches and chairs, or in places that are not designed for a baby
RESOURCES FOR PARENTS
Need a Baby Box?
Email Sarah at email@example.com
Need a Crib?
Visit Cribsforkids.org or call 1-888-721-CRIB
Mother to Baby:
Medications, pregnancy & Breastfeeding, ask the experts. – 1-888-285-3410 mothertobaby.org
Birth to Five Help Line:
“Nothing out of the question” – 1-877-705-KIDS
Infant Starter Kit:
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development:
More on Suffocation Prevention:
Safe Sleep for Babies (CDC):
How to Keep Your Sleeping Baby Safe- AAP Policy Explained:
About SIDS and Safe Infant Sleep:
CDC SIDS: Watch this Safe Sleep Video on You Tube.
Baby Boxes available upon request
HELPFUL RESOURCES ON SAFE SLEEP
We have several resources you can download to educate yourself. Click to download the document.
For any Safe Sleep Program inquiries or to request a Baby Box please contact Sarah Reed, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Did you know we supply our resources in BULK?
Our BULK orders include:
50 Safe Sleep Program Brochures
50 “I am a Safe Sleep Superhero” Magnets
100 Safe Sleep Program Shoe Cards
100 Child Abuse Awareness Shoe Cards
100 Child Abuse Awareness Shoe Cards for Kids
Make a request
You can request a training or a bulk order of resources for your organization.